As I sit here eating a banana that has been chopped into tiny pieces, with a fork, I thought I should compile a list (because I love lists) of discoveries on my culinary journey this past fortnight… As with all lists, I may add to this one over the next year, and please feel free to share your own eating-with-braces stories.
Things I am eating as soon as the braces are off
I didn’t have enough time to fit lots of these things into the short period of notice that I was getting my braces on, and I’ve tried and failed to eat some of them in tiny little pieces…
- Mars Bar
- Toffee Crisp
- Fast Food – eating McChicken Nuggets with a fork and knife really takes the fun out of it.
- Chewy sweets
- Martha’s Red Dragon Pork wrap
A late addition to this list, and one I’m surprised I missed the first time…
This advert pretty much sums up my granola feelings. I feel like I’ve only just got to know granola, and now when I go into Piece in the mornings I have to walk away without my favourite commuting breakfast.
I’ve found some things I can eat that I hadn’t considered:
- Jelly, woohoo I feel like a 5 yr old!
- Ice cream – also great for numbing my gums.
- Cake, yay!
- Pizza – plain, in teeny, weeny pieces with a fork and knife.
- Rice Crispies – I’ve actually had breakfast every day for the last two weeks!
Things I need to stay away from.
I knew from the beginning that turmeric would be off the menu (goodbye Indian food) but I’m finding out the hard way that some things, while quite edible, shouldn’t be eaten in public.
- Leaves – herbs, spinach, whatever it is, it’ll find a way to get stuck.
- Chocolate Cake.
- Chocolate in general.
Other n0-go foods:
- Tomato-based pasta sauces – can usually tell which ones are risky
- Red pesto
The silver lining
To balance out my first world problem whinging, here’s the upside to all of this – I am eating SUPER HEALTHY. Definitely getting my 5 a day, actually eating breakfast, drinking LOTS of water, and I basically can’t eat most of my favourite unhealthy things anymore. WOOHOO. Challenge for 2016 is to find time to keep cooking – it’s been easy enough over the holidays, but I think I’m going to have to find space in my diary to actually write in food prep time…